Surgery at Scarborough Health Network
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) offers a wide range of surgical specialties with a focus on patient care and safety. We provide easy access to quality surgical care for patients throughout Scarborough and beyond.
Our surgical services include major procedures that may require patients to stay in hospital. We have inpatient care units to supports patients in their recovery after their surgery. We also have several surgical clinics where we are able to perform minor outpatient procedures and services. Patients are seen, assessed, treated and discharged home the same day.
Dental and Maxillo-facial Surgery at Scarborough Health Network (SHN) is designed to treat patients with problems relating to the mouth, teeth and facial regions, including corrective jaw surgery, wisdom tooth removal, TMJ disorder, facial trauma, oral pathology and reconstruction.
Paediatric Dentistry at SHN is designed to meet the dental care of children from infancy through adolescence. These children or teens may have emotional, physical or behavioural problems that do not allow dental treatment to be performed safely in a regular dental office setting.
What We Offer
Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthognathic surgery (Corrective jaw surgery)
- Maxillofacial trauma
- Dental extractions and wisdom teeth removal
- Temporomandibular Joint Disorder (TMJ) surgery
- Removal of cyst, tumor, or other oral pathology
- Jaw/bone grafting or reconstruction
- Paediatric Dentistry
- Restorative dentistry and extraction under general anesthesia
Any patient with a dental concern may be referred to one of our surgeons/paediatric dentists by their family physician or dentist to determine their eligibility for hospital-based treatment.
Please be reminded that typical dental treatment is not covered by OHIP and for patients with severe medical conditions, mandatory approval from the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care is required before any dental treatment can take place.
Corrective jaw surgery, reconstructive surgery, cyst removal, TMJ surgery, trauma, bone grafting and other non-dental related issues are OHIP-insured services.
Head and neck surgery (Otolaryngology) is a surgical specialty more commonly known as Ear, Nose and Throat (ENT).
At Scarborough Health Network (SHN), our medical team of specialized health care professionals treats adults and children, both medically and surgically, for disorders of the ears, nose, throat and related structures. This includes the larynx, oral cavity, nose and sinuses, the outer, middle and inner ear, throat.
Related structures include the thyroid gland, parathyroid and cancerous, infectious and congenital masses of the head and neck.
We work closely with other subspecialty services including head and neck cancer surgery, facial cosmetic surgery, rhinology and sinus surgery, otology, laryngology, and paediatrics to provide overall ENT care to our patients.
What We Offer
In addition to services provided at our 24/7 emergency departments, we offer office-based care in the following areas:
- Disorders of hearing and balance
- Disease of the nose and sinuses
- Voice and swallowing disorders
- Cancer of the head and neck
- Facial cosmetic and reconstruction surgery
- Thyroid cancer
- Paediatric conditions such as inner ear infection (otitis media), tonsil and adenoid infection, airway problems
- Surgical management of sleep apnea and/ or snoring
Any patient with an ENT (otolaryngologic) concern may be referred to an ENT physician by their family doctor, emergency department, any surgical or medical specialist or through a walk-in clinic. If an urgent referral is required, the family doctor can contact us either through our offices listed below or the emergency department.
Scarborough Health Network (SHN) offers a full range of upper gastrointestinal (GI) and colorectal produces. At SHN, a group of dedicated and skilled Gastroenterologists work across three campuses (Centenary, General and Birchmount) to provide a full spectrum of GI services.
Through a number of leading inpatient and outpatient services and endoscopic procedures, SHN provides innovative and refined endoscopy services, that provide advanced diagnostic and therapeutic intervention for gastrointestinal bleeding, pancreatico-biliary diseases, colorectal cancer screening and prevention, along with palliative endoluminal stenting for malignant disease. In addition, we also perform endoscopy ultrasound and enteroscopy.
What We Offer
Diagnostic and Screening Procedures:
- Small Bowel Enteroscopy
- Flexible Sigmoidoscopy
Upper G.I. Therapeutic Procedures:
- Cryosurgery on internal hemorrhoids
- Lateral internal sphincterotomy
- Excision of para-anal lesions
- Pilonidal Cystectomy
- Treatment of Condyloma Accuminata
- Biopsy and excision of upper G.I. lesions where indicated
- Esophageal manometry and esophageal dilation for Dysphagia (Motility Clinic)
Fit Positive Clinic
Through our FIT Clinic, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) aims to provide rapid colon cancer care to our community, as conveniently as possible. At our Birchmount hospital, the FIT clinic has been established to provide seamless care for those who have tested positive from the Fecal Immunochemical Test (FIT), who may be at an average risk of developing colorectal cancer.
We strive to provide excellent endoscopic services and complete follow-up care for our patients. We welcome referrals from family physicians and specialists.
Birchmount Hospital 416-495-0135
Our Gynecology services at Scarborough Health Network (SHN) are designed to meet the health care needs of women through all stages of life from the paediatric age group through menopause.
Our program provides both expert office-based consultation as well as hospital-based care depending on the clinical situation. We provide advanced laparoscopic minimally invasive surgery and many procedures are performed as day surgery. Our colposcopy unit provides outpatient surgical procedures, as well as comprehensive investigation of abnormal pap smear tests.
SHN has a dedicated group of gynecology specialist physicians who provide compassionate culturally-sensitive care within our community. Our department has members who speak a variety of languages to enhance the comprehensive care provided. We look forward to having the opportunity to provide high quality care to women in Scarborough.
What We Offer
- Early pregnancy care
- Colposcopy (abnormal pap smears)
- Inpatient and outpatient gynecologic surgery, including advanced laparoscopic surgery
- 24 hour emergency coverage through the Emergency Department
- Office-based consultation for a wide range of gynecologic conditions
The general surgeons at Scarborough Health Network (SHN) provide a wide range of vital services across our three hospitals to offer high-quality care for all patients in our community.
While the general surgeons at SHN support all departments, a major focus of this sub-specialty is on cancer care. Our surgical team takes immense pride in providing personalized and timely care for all types of cancer.
What We Offer
- Breast cancer – We provide surgical treatment for breast cancer. We work closely with our oncologists for integrated breast cancer care, and with our hospital’s plastic surgeons to provide options of immediate breast reconstruction for maximizing cosmetic outcomes. The general surgeons also provide prevention and detection services for average and high risk women (mammography).
- Colon and stomach cancer – We remove cancers of the abdomen, including colorectal and stomach cancer, by surgical excision, and perform leading-edge laparoscopic and regular open surgeries. Colonoscopy for screening and prevention of colon cancer is one of our strengths.
- Thyroid cancer – We provide excision of thyroid cancers.
In addition to cancer care, our General Surgery team supports a variety of surgical areas, including:
- Simple and complex hernias in many sites of the body, providing both laparoscopic and open surgery for hernia repair
- Benign breast disease
- Hemorrhoids, fissures, abscesses, fistulas and other colorectal issues
- Gastrointestinal emergencies, including 24/7 coverage of both Emergency Departments for patients with appendicitis, bowel perforations and obstructions
Our Plastic Surgeons at Scarborough Health Network (SHN) have been dedicated to serving the unique needs of our community since 1956.
They frequently provide support to the Emergency Department for treatment of many types of trauma including injuries that may have occurred in the home, in motor vehicle accidents and on the job. Team members are experts in providing 24/7 care to emergency patients, as well as elective patients.
The post-mastectomy breast reconstruction program utilizes the very latest in microsurgical techniques to ensure excellent results. A strong collaboration between the plastic surgery staff and other medical and surgical specialties ensures the best possible care for our patients.
The newly renovated Wound Clinic allows the plastic surgery staff to closely monitor difficult wound healing problems in close cooperation with Home Care Services.
The team also provides elective surgery to treat a wide variety of conditions, and is able to arrange for day surgery with an overnight stay for monitoring. In addition, either local or general anesthetic can be arranged depending on the needs of the patient. We have Plastics Clinics at our three hospitals, which provide care for urgent referrals, as well as follow-up management for acute and chronic conditions.
What We Offer
- Elective treatment of hand problems, including carpal tunnel compression, ganglion cysts, Dupuytrens contracture and tendon and bone abnormalities
- Surgery of the breast, including breast reduction and breast reconstruction following a mastectomy
- Surgical management following massive weight loss
- Management of wound healing problems, such as diabetic ulcers, infections and skin ulcers caused by poor circulation
- Treatment of burns both immediately following an injury and/or at a later time to manage scarring and functional problems
- Supporting the hospital’s Emergency Department by providing care for serious lacerations, domestic injuries, work related trauma, motor vehicle accidents, sports injuries, infections, facial fractures and many other types of trauma
- Treating skin cancers and suspicious lesions by obtaining a biopsy diagnosis and planning effective management
- Removing troublesome benign skin lesions, which can affect quality of life and which may progress if not properly treated
Our Surgical Oncology service ensures timely access to safe, high-quality care. It does this by continually improving the quality and accessibility of cancer surgery across Scarborough. The program also engages surgeons in planning and quality improvement initiatives.
Through our urology services, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) aims to provide the highest quality patient care in a compassionate, safe and patient-centered manner. The urologic surgeons provide expert care and support to patients throughout each step of the process, from diagnosing urologic disorders to providing treatment and performing surgical procedures. They are experienced, professional and specialize in advanced surgical therapies and minimally invasive procedures to treat all specialties of male and female urology.
What We Offer
- Genitourinary cancers (bladder, prostate, kidney, penis and testicular cancer)
- Kidney stones
- Prostate-related diseases (benign prostate hypertrophy)
- Female urology
- Voding dysfunction and incontinence
- Erectile dysfunction
- Reconstructive urology
At Scarborough Health Network (SHN), we are dedicated to providing treatment of vascular disorders.
SHN Nephrology Program has dedicated Dialysis Vascular Access Team. Patients who require assessment, care, education, maintenance, creation, or counselling regarding dialysis vascular access i.e. Fistula, Graft, Central Venous Catheter (CVC) are referred to the Dialysis Vascular Access Team.
- The team is composed of a Nephrology Vascular Access Coordinator, Administrative Assistant, Vascular Access Registered Nurses, and Vascular Access Registered Practical Nurses who work collaboratively with the Interdisciplinary team (Vascular Surgeons, Same Day Surgery staff, Interventional Radiologists and Interventional Radiology staff, Ambulatory Patient Unit Staff and Vascular Ultrasound Department Staff). They also work collaboratively with the various team members within the Nephrology Program.
- Recognizing the ongoing growth of hemodialysis patients and the necessity to ensure patients’ “life lines” (vascular accesses) are well maintained, functional, created in a timely manner, and are chosen by the patient (where suitable and appropriate) to be either fistulas or grafts vs. central venous catheters (CVCs).
Our Vascular Access Program services include:
- There are 3 Vascular Access Clinics per week, virtual or in person where patients are seen in collaboration with the vascular nurse and the Vascular Surgeon (as per ORN guidelines). The VA clinic referrals received from Nephrologist’s office, MCKC, Home Dialysis (PD and Home Hemo), all Satellites, Hemodialysis and DMC. The Initial referrals are triaged and patients are called accordingly by VA team for access education, reinforce vein preservation and booking for vein mapping and VA Clinic. Patients who are suitable for dialysis access creation are managed in partnership with Surgery or Interventional Radiology. Post access creation, patients have routine surveillance and monitoring with access assessment by the vascular access team. Vascular access clinics also manage patients with existing dialysis accesses. Service may include; reassessment of malfunctioning dialysis access, infection, thrombosed accesses or other issues. The vascular clinic, in its assessment of patients also redirect identified patients who would benefit, are interested, and are suitable for referral (or re-referral) for home dialysis.
- In addition to coordinating dialysis vascular access creation and interventions in IR or Surgery within the clinic, the dialysis vascular access team also facilitates urgent dialysis access interventions that are identified by all hemodialysis services throughout the program including hemodialysis satellites, ICU, ER, and in-patient units. Note: Access to IR and Surgical spots are facilitated by the vascular team but also by the dedicated vascular access unit clerk who works with the respective booking clerk in each service areas by coordinating dedicated spots for dialysis vascular access within each of the respective services.
- VA team provides patients and families with comprehensive Vascular Access Education and counselling regarding hemodialysis accesses choices, benefits and disadvantages and follow-up care in VA Clinic. The team supports patients and families with Shared Care Module. Patients wishing or expressing interest in learning Shared Care self-cannulation or involvement in vascular care and management are supported and trained by VA team.
- The VA team also provides support for the front line and acts as a resource to patients and staff with the Best Practice Standards and Guidelines related to vascular access care. With the chronic, repetitive nature of hemodialysis, nurses often become lax in their vascular practice and require constant refreshing of skill sets related to infection control practices, troubleshooting, and surveillance of vascular accesses which impacts patient care and potentially increases patients’ morbidity and mortality. The Ontario Health mandates Vascular Access Educational Modules to be completed by all nurses throughout the program who care for hemodialysis patients (both home and in-centre). Any identified gaps in practice needs to be resolved to ensure adherence to expected standards of practice related to hemodialysis vascular access.
All activities provided by the vascular team, support mandates related to vascular access care, maintenance, creation, and outcomes by the Ontario Health (Ontario Renal Network). Vascular metrics and indicators are reported and benchmarked provincially.
East Wing, 1st Floor
416-438-2911 ext. 6622 / 6623 or 8376
Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
SHN is committed to partnering with patients and family members throughout their surgical journey for a safe and quality patient experience. Our education materials will answer many of your questions and help you be actively involved in your care.
Patient and Family Guide: Surgical Journey
Set yourself up for a successful surgical journey by knowing the steps, what to expect, how to prepare yourself, and what things you can do throughout your journey.