The following responsibilities are required of students and volunteers, in addition to mandatory onboarding.
- Review this orientation website and complete all mandatory training requirements and policy and procedure review.
- You will be oriented to your unit by your placement supervisor on your first day.
The following prerequisites are required by you prior to starting a placement at the hospital:
- Immunizations must be up to date including a TB test within the past 12 months.
- Seasonal influenza immunizations are not mandatory but highly recommended.
- Vulnerable Sector Screening
- Vulnerable sector check must have been completed within the past 12 months, for students/volunteers 18 or older. If your screening has positive findings, you must notify NCstudentplacement@shn.ca or TSHfirstname.lastname@example.org before your placement starts as conditions of your placement will need to be assessed.
- On the student first day, go with your supervisor to obtain an ID badge from Security.
- Volunteers will follow the instructions from the volunteer coordinator to obtain an ID badge from Security
- The hospital ID and (school ID for students) must be worn at all times while on placement.
- Additional unit/department specific training/orientation will be provided.
- At all times, you will practice within your scope of practice as defined by your educational facility and the policies and procedures of the hospital.
- Abide by all hospital policies, procedures, and codes of conduct.
- Report all work-related injury and illnesses to placement supervisors and seek immediate medical attention.
- Incident Reporting: a report will need to be completed by your supervisor
- You must visit the Occupational Health Dept. for assessment. If it is after-hours/weekend visit the Emergency Department.
- You must also immediately report the injury/illness to the volunteer and student placement coordinator at NCstudentplacement@shn.ca or TSHemail@example.com and the appropriate contact person at the Students’ learning institution.
You must report ALL absences due to illness or for any other reasons to your placement supervisor. The Student should also notify the school contact person and Volunteers to notify the volunteer services office.