Welcome! We are pleased that you have chosen to accept a placement with us at Scarborough Health Network (SHN). You will find a dedicated team of individuals at our hospital to assist you in your pursuit for excellence or interest to give back to the community as a volunteer.
Throughout this orientation:
- All individuals participating in an approved field placement program at SHN from a learning institution such as High School, Community College or University will be referred to as Student(s).
- All individuals who will be engaged in an unpaid volunteer role or program placement at SHN will be referred to as volunteer(s).
- Both Students and volunteer positions will be referred to as Placement(s).
SHN is a scent-free environment. Please do not wear or bring in scented products.
Keeping our workplace safe – it’s a matter of policy.
Scents can cause severe allergic reactions for some people, and can cause serious illness for those people with asthma and COPD.
The word “scent” refers to the odour or smell from things such as cosmetic and cleaning products, plants and flowers. Products labelled as “scent free” or “unscented” are those that have no ‘scent’ added or contain a masking agent that hides the scents from the product (Canadian National Centre for Occupational Health and Safety, CCOHS).
How you can help
- Use only “unscented” personal products – deodorants, soaps, aftershaves, hair products and hand creams – while at work.
- Please speak with visitors and staff who wear strong fragrances and educate them about the negative effects of strong fragrances.
- Please request that visitors and staff take home strongly fragrances flowers and gifts to ensure that patients, residents and staff do not experience discomfort or a severe allergic reaction.
For the comfort of patients, residents, staff and volunteers, Scarborough Health Network (SHN) supports a scent-free environment. Help us maintain a healthy environment for all. Please do not wear scented products to work.