The CEO News Desk features a message from David Graham, President and CEO of Scarborough Health Network, in Network News, our monthly e-newsletter. To receive Network News and other messages to the community in your inbox, subscribe today.
Scarborough, get ready! SHN’s redevelopment team has big plans underway for the future of our community’s hospital buildings and facilities.
Building on the success of recent provincial investments and our bold “Love, Scarborough” fundraising campaign, SHN is investing in sustainable healthcare in Scarborough for generations to come. We’re leveling up with new and expanded facilities, growing our world class workforce, and offering state-of-the-art care to everyone in our community.
I look forward to hearing your input and ideas at our community engagement events next month. (Details coming soon!)
The first phase of this long-range work towards realizing SHN’s overarching Master Plan will build a new hospital at our Birchmount site. With a more than $1-billion investment from the government and our community, this will be the largest redevelopment in SHN’s history and will include:
- New construction of a three-storey podium and multi-level, inpatient tower on the south side of building
- The lower podium will include a new no-wait emergency department, diagnostic imaging, laboratory services, pharmacy, and allied health spaces.
- The upper tower will consist of inpatient units, operating rooms, and mechanical areas.
- In addition, there will be shelled or unfinished spaces to support future growth.
- New above-grade parking structure on the north side of the building
- Renovations to the existing Birchmount Hospital to create public and staff amenities
Other major capital projects are also underway across SHN, including the Bridletowne Neighbourhood Centre; Centenary Hospital no-wait emergency department; General Hospital diagnostic imaging department; and the General Hospital vascular surgery suite.
All of these projects will result in a dramatic expansion to health services in Scarborough, bringing the infrastructure and equipment needed to match our exceptional medical and clinical talent.
I invite Scarborough residents, Ontario Health Team partners, community partners, and other groups and associations to share your voice. Watch for upcoming engagement opportunities on SHN.ca or @SHNcares on social media, or email me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Take good care,
President and CEO
Scarborough Health Network