The Cardiac Amyloidosis Clinic at SHN provides local expertise and diagnostic testing to enhance early detection and diagnosis of cardiac amyloidosis, the most typical type of restrictive heart disease that often results in heart failure.
Cardiac amyloidosis is a life-threatening infiltrative disease, which occurs when clumps of proteins, known as amyloid deposits, deposit around normal heart muscle and cause the heart to become stiff.
Cardiac amyloidosis may affect how electrical signals move through the heart, which can lead to abnormal heartbeats (arrhythmias) and faulty heart signals (heart block).
What we offer
The Cardiac Amyloidosis team provides services, including:
- Diagnostic clarification of patients with thickened left heart walls
- Advanced cardiac imaging and diagnostics to assess for cardiac amyloidosis
- Family screening for patients with a family history of hereditary amyloidosis
- Co-management with primary cardiologists of patients with cardiac amyloidosis, and assistance in starting therapies to treat amyloidosis and manage heart failure symptoms
- Multidisciplinary collaboration with allied health specialties
- Remote monitoring of vital signs through the “A Touch Away” service to provide virtual nursing support for patients and caregivers
What to expect at the Clinic
During your first consultation, your care team will conduct a physical examination and review your medical history. Our consultations are performed by cardiologists who provide specialized cardiac.
If you are a new patient, we ask that you bring a list of the medications, vitamins and herbal supplements that you take, along with information on dosages. Additionally, please bring any medical records, CDs of images, consultation notes, and notes on previous treatments and their effectiveness. We use this information at the time of your first visit to get a complete picture of you and your overall condition in order to develop an appropriate treatment plan.
The Cardiac Amyloidosis Clinic is open for appointments on Fridays from 8 a.m. to noon. To refer a patient, please fax to 647-598-4021. For questions, or to learn more please call 416-438-2911 ext. 7811 between 8 a.m. and noon.
Making a Referral
Physician referral is required.
These clinics now accept Ocean eReferrals! For additional information, please email your Ontario Health East Deployment Team at email@example.com.
SHN, the Scarborough Ontario Health Team (SOHT), and Scarborough Family Physicians Network (SFPN) are working together to support healthcare providers in our community who may be interested in onboarding onto Ocean. Get started by completing the Ontario Health East online form.
Heart Function Clinic
Central Wing, 1st Floor