Prehabilitation is a proactive and preventative approach to exercise that maximizes your health and wellness, and minimizes your risk of injury or your functional condition becoming worse.
Our prehabiliation program at Scarborough Health Network (SHN) has been designed for patients who will be undergoing elective hip and knee replacement surgery. We encourage maximum independence prior to your surgery—because the more active you are before, the better your results are after.
By participating in this six-week program before having surgery, patients can expect:
- Best possible outcomes and physical condition after your operation
- Sooner return home from the hospital
- Faster and easier recovery
How the program works
The prehabilitation program is comprised of a one-day education session and six weeks of conditioning classes. Classes are led by a team of staff that includes an occupational therapist, physiotherapist, occupational/physiotherapy assistant and a nurse.
The purpose of our one-day education session is to help you to become more familiar and comfortable with what you can expect with your surgery and recovery.
You will be provided with:
- An overview of the prehabilitation program and what to bring to conditioning classes;
- Preoperative instructions on what you need to do before your surgery;
- Information on what to expect during your stay at the hospital, and about the discharge plan for your return home; and
- A list of equipment, exercises and techniques that will help with your recovery at home.
At the core of the prehabilitation program are our conditioning classes. For six weeks, these exercise classes will provide you with cardiovascular, strength, and flexibility training. Classes are held in a group setting three times a week for 45 to 60 minutes.
A key part of these classes is setting your own goals that set out the functional level you would like to reach through our prehabilitation program. Our team will be your partners in attaining these goals, which should be based on your activity level at home and any potential accessibility issues you may have.
- Education sessions: Wednesday, 2 – 3 p.m.
- Conditioning classes: Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, 12 – 3 p.m.
Joining the program
Our Prehabilitation program is offered at our Centenary hospital. To join SHN’s prehabilitation program, please have your orthopaedic surgeon fax a referral to 416-281-7224.
Once we have your referral, you will be booked into an education session and then be notified of your start date for the conditioning classes.
- Phone: 416-284-8131 ext. 2120
- Fax: 416-281-7224