At Scarborough Health Network (SHN), we are working to ensure a safe environment for everyone entering our hospitals during the COVID-19 pandemic — while remaining committed to compassionate care for patients and families. We understand that visiting can contribute greatly to a patient’s quality of life and well-being.
For everyone’s protection, SHN is maintaining masking requirements in our hospitals. Patients and visitors at SHN must continue to wear masks (read more about this decision).
(June 20, 2022) Scarborough Health Network is easing visitor restrictions at our hospitals (Birchmount, Centenary and General):
- 2 Visitors per patient staying in the hospital.
- 1 Visitor per patient coming for an appointment or test, or to our Emergency Department.
- Give yourself extra time when coming for scheduled appointments to allow for self-screening at the entrance, and getting a hospital-approved mask
- Contact your loved ones’ care team to directly book a visit
- Please do not come to the hospital if you have not scheduled your visit
- VISITING HOURS: 1 P.M. – 7 P.M. If you are a designated Essential Visitor or Care Partner, please speak with the patient’s health care team to schedule your visiting time.
- Suspect and confirmed COVID-19 positive individuals are not allowed to visit patients due to the high risk to visitors, patients and staff.
- To protect everyone, visitors must 1) wear a mask at all times in the hospital, 2) clean their hands with sanitizer when entering and exiting a patient’s room, and 3) and maintain 6 feet (2 metres) between themselves and the patient.
- Visitors are required to self-screen for COVID-19 when entering our hospitals, clean hands, and wear the hospital-approved medical mask provided at the hospital entrances at all times. Visitors with communicable illness symptoms will not be allowed to visit.
- Any visitation outside of regular visiting hours or other special requests will require review and approval from program leadership on a case-by-case basis.
- Whenever possible, we encourage family members to visit patients virtually using mobile devices and the free WiFi at the hospital. Please speak with the health care team for support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Thank you for your support, understanding, and patience as we resume visiting, while preventing the spread of infectious diseases. Find answers to frequently asked questions (FAQ) below or visit our COVID-19 Information page to learn more.
- Visitor(s) will need to work with the care team to determine date and time of visit based on the access limitations.
- Visiting hours are from 1:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.
- Based on guidance from Public Health, as the conditions change we will update families on any changes in the visiting process.
It can happen in two cases:
- If the number of COVID-19 cases in the community increases, SHN can put restrictions on all visiting with the direction of Public Health and/or Ministry of Health.
- If we have cases of COVID-19 or any other communicable illness, or if we are in an outbreak, all visits will have to stop for all patients.
- Try to communicate virtually whenever possible (units have dedicated iPads to support virtual visits) – Learn more
- Clean hands frequently with hand sanitizer or soap and water
- Stay home when sick
- Maintain social distancing of at least 6 feet (2 metres)
- Wear a mask at all times while visiting to cover your mouth and nose
Every staff, patient and visitor will receive a mask that they are expected to wear at all times when in our hospitals. This is for the safety of everyone at SHN.
If you are visiting a patient who is on isolation precautions, you may be asked to wear additional personal protective equipment (PPE). Follow the instructions below from Public Health Ontario on how to put on and remove PPE. If you have any questions please speak to a member of the health care team.