Research shows that it is possible for people who experience a first episode of psychosis to have better outcomes if they receive the appropriate support in a timely manner. Simply put: Getting help early means that a person can start living his or her life again.
Scarborough Health Network’s First Intervention Treatment Team (FITT) provides services for early intervention psychosis. Our program is delivered at Shoniker Clinic, which is right across from Centenary hospital, located at the corner of Ellesmere Road and Neilson Road in Scarborough.
FITT has a team of staff from various health care and social work backgrounds, including psychiatrists, a child and youth counselor, nurses, an occupational therapist, and social workers. This allows us to provide a wide variety of supports and programs to individuals and their families.
We work with teens and adults up to the age of 35 living in the Scarborough area. Clients who meet the criteria for an EPI program will be able to receive services for a period of up to three years
- Intake screening
- Psychiatric assessment
- Medical workup
- Bio-psychosocial assessment
- Nursing assessment – injection and clozaril clinic
- Regular meetings with your case manager held virtually or in person, to identify your goals and work towards them.
Connection to Community
- Referrals to housing supports and services
- Referrals for financial assistance
- Employment assistance
- Alternative schooling
- A variety of in person and virtual groups; therapeutic and recreational
- Psychoeducation for both clients and family members
To join the FITT program, you will need to be referred by a physician. We accept referrals from family doctors, walk –in clinics and psychiatrists. Fees are covered by OHIP.
Completed referrals should be faxed to 416-281-7465.
After your referral has been received, the first step in getting you into the program is an intake phone interview. We will call the contact person listed on the referral form within two business days of when we receive the form.
During the intake phone interview, additional relevant information will be gathered.
Your first visit
- At your first visit, one of the FITT team members will meet with you and discuss what you are going through and look at how we may be able to best meet your needs.
- You will get some more detailed information about the FITT program and what we do here.
- You and the FITT team will decide if joining the program is right for you. Future visits will be scheduled for you.
Reminder: When you come for your first visit, please bring your health card. You will need to present your health card to the receptionist in the waiting room at Shoniker Clinic. For virtual visits, your health card will be confirmed.