Scarborough and Rouge Hospital (SRH) was formed on December 1, 2016 through the merger of the Birchmount and General sites of The Scarborough Hospital and the Centenary site of Rouge Valley Health System. Merging can be quite a journey, but SRH has already made many great strides. We set up our governance and leadership structure, developed organizational plans that ensure patient safety and quality of care, and completed our 100-day action plan to begin working as one hospital.
We are actively engaging with our community to understand and support their current and future health-care needs by:
- Meeting with community groups and holding public engagement sessions to get input and feedback;
- Sharing news, information, and education at hospital and local community events;
- Partnering with community organizations to promote a healthy Scarborough; and
- Providing opportunities to give through the SRH Foundation.
We are aligning how we achieve a consistent, quality experience for patients and families by:
- Standardizing how we deliver care;
- Implementing our organizational annual quality improvement plan;
- Establishing new processes for handling patient flow and surges at our three sites;
- Creating a shared approach to our patient and family centred care philosophy; and
- Recruiting Patient Family Advisors to provide support for clinical units and corporate initiatives.
We are supporting our staff, health professionals, and volunteers to come together as a united hospital team by:
- Setting up cross-site management teams and establishing medical department leaders;
- Carrying out a culture and engagement survey across the organization;
- Providing change management training and support; and
- Holding joint new staff orientation sessions and organization-wide Town Hall meetings and celebration events.
We are creating a solid foundation for our hospital to successfully operate now and into the future by:
- Bringing together information management and information technology infrastructure and systems;
- Harmonizing policies, processes, and systems for corporate services – including human resources, finance, procurement, and telecommunications; and
- Identifying and adopting new practices and leading standards.