If you need to be seen by a doctor for an urgent medical condition that isn’t life or limb threatening, then the new Scarborough Virtual Urgent Care Clinic is here to provide you with services and care right through your phone, tablet or computer.
Your family doctor or primary care provider should always be your first point of contact. But if you’re not able to access them at the time, instead of going to the Emergency Department where you may wait longer because your condition is not as severe as other patients, booking a video appointment with our clinic may be the right option for you.
The Scarborough Virtual Urgent Care Clinic is a partnership between SHN and the East GTA Family Health Team that offers urgent care services. Learn more below:
The Scarborough Virtual Urgent Care Clinic is a partnership between SHN and the East GTA Family Health Team that offers urgent care services for adults and children (aged three months or older) from Scarborough and nearby communities.
Our clinic consists of a team of emergency physicians, called the Scarborough Emergency Associates, who sees patients through virtual appointments that may be booked on a same day, first-come, first-served basis.
The Scarborough Virtual Urgent Care Clinic offers urgent care services for adults and children (aged three months or older).
- Assessing your condition
- Ordering diagnostic tests or procedures
- Prescribing drugs or treatment
- Providing self-care advice
- Referring you to another specialist, or directing you to another healthcare professional or setting for additional treatment or follow-up care where needed
- Assisting you to connect with other primary care, and community services where needed
- Any condition where a patient can safely wait a few hours for an appointment
- Minor injuries
- Questions about COVID-19 symptoms (patients with COVID-19 may use the service for discussing symptoms and symptom management advice)
- Misplaced prescriptions or forgotten advice given by the ED physician from a previous visit
- Sick notes, etc.
Based on the virtual assessment during your appointment, if the physician feels a physical examination is necessary, they will direct you to the closest Emergency Department.
Please note: Virtual urgent care visits are optional. The Emergency Departments at our Birchmount, Centenary, and General Hospitals are still available for walk-in visits if you need urgent care.
Booking an Appointment
Our Virtual Urgent Care Clinic services are available seven days a week from 2 to 7 p.m. Same day appointments will be available each day.
You will receive an email with a link to sign onto a video call for your scheduled appointment time. Please note: video calls are preferred for these appointments, but if do not have access to video-calling, you can request to speak with the physician over the phone.
To book an appointment, you must first complete the following Consent Form. Then you will be taken to the ED Doctors (Pre-ED Virtual Visits) online booking form hosted by Scarborough Emergency Associates.
For questions regarding your appointment, including cancelations, or how to use our website, please call: 416-673-9365
Please note: this phone line is not staffed 24/7, and it may take up to 2 business days to return your call.
Making an Appointment
Ready to book your virtual appointment?
- Please click here to complete the consent form.
Frequently Asked Question
You can book a virtual urgent care visit if you or your child:
- Cannot make an urgent appointment with a family doctor or pediatrician
- Have an urgent medical problem that is NOT listed below (if you are experiencing any of these, please go to the nearest emergency department)
- Chest pains or racing heartbeat
- Breathing problems
- Neck stiffness, severe headache, or altered consciousness
- Difficulty speaking or swallowing
- Loss or change of vision
- Numbness or weakness of the face or body, or inability to walk
- New confusion or memory problems
- In labour or ruptured membranes
- Possible broken bones
- Severe injuries (i.e. bleeding that won’t stop, deep cuts, head injuries)
- Fever or severe pain that is not improved with Tylenol/acetaminophen or Advil/ibuprofen
- Are not requesting an opioid pain medicine/narcotic prescription or renewal
It is recommended that you live within one-hour travel distance from our Birchmount, Centenary or General Hospitals as the physician may recommend that you go to an SHN site in person based on their assessment.
Yes, please ensure you have your health card ready when you are booking your appointment. Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) provides coverage for Virtual Urgent Care appointments.
Please call the clinic at 416-673-9365 to cancel your appointment.